Friday 3 June 2011

Sheep Shearing Course Article


I’m absolutely pooped.  Just completed a three day sheep shearing course.  My back feels fine, strangely my feet ache more than any other part of my body.  My muscles feel harder than they’ve ever been.  I’ve learned a great deal, met some lovely people and made new friends.  There was a considerable age range on the course, from mid teens to over sixty, it was really encouraging to see other people like me who aren’t strapping young men getting stuck in.

I can’t say too much about the course because I’m writing an exclusive article for YarnMaker magazine.  If you wish to read the full story of the course you will need to beg, borrow or buy a copy of YarnMaker.  YarnMaker is a new UK magazine for handspinners, first published in August 2010.  The publishers will ship internationally and you can order individual copies or subscribe.  

I have written one article for YarnMaker but I wasn’t sure if it would be accepted, I heard yesterday that the article is going to be in the July issue!  The deadline for the July issue is in May then the next issue comes out in September.  I really wanted to write a sheep shearing article for publication during the shearing season, but I knew the May deadline was too early in the season for me to have fresh material so I wrote an article about my first experiences of learning to shear three years ago.  Now that article has been accepted I’m good to go with the second article.  Subject to acceptance, the full story of my sheep shearing course will be in the September issue of YarnMaker.

Just to prove I did actually shear a sheep today:


 You can visit the YarnMaker website here.

No comments:

Post a Comment